Tuesday

Pumpkin Carving

10-23-2017

Pumpkin carving fun!  I really enjoy the depth play with light when scooping rather than cutting all the way through the pumpkin.  If I had more time, I could see myself making lots of pumpkins every year.






































































2009


1 - NFS
detailed photos


2- NFS

If someone had told me a year ago that I would be carving fake pumpkins in a house that I own, I would have laughed. But thanks to the stimulus for first time homebuyers, we were able to buy a little house. And once I realized those dorky fake pumpkins could be carved, I started to see their charm. That, plus a 50% off coupon, and I went shopping!

I give "Funkins" 4.5 stars. I used charcoal to draw on a design, that worked pretty well. They were easy to carve, I started out with wax carving tools but quickly moved on to an x-acto knife. The paint job on them isn't flawless, which the technical part of me is frustrated by, but it would probably be pretty easy to touch them up. A tiny bit of chipping of paint on the edges where carved was a tad annoying, but again, I could probably touch it up if I wanted to. It was minimized by using a very sharp x-acto blade as well. The best part of course is that I can store them in a plastic tub and get them out every year, no need to carve more, although that might not stop me ;) I'm not sure how well they would hold up to being put outside, so I'm not going to try that, as I don't want them to be ruined by rain or rampaging teenagers. I'll use real pumpkins for the porch. It's nice to have something that will last longer though for say, putting in the windows. I recommend them for any design you want to see every year.

1 comment:

Rolfe Bautista said...

great pumpkins. They are very scary!